"The second-largest bunker ever constructed on the island, Hydra bunker is the central subject testing facility for the Poultry Applications and Research on Metabolic Augmentation Initiative. Scientists at this bunker developed the serums responsible for enhancing test subject strength, speed, and pain tolerance. Find Hydra, and you may just find ..."
The Hydra Bunker has multiple entrances and seven automatic doors, two leading into rooms with lockers, as well as the main entrance. This Building is the home of the Vector (9mm). The other two entrances are concealed by three Trees in triangles. Two of the automatic doors are one-way and make a negative sound when approached from the wrong direction.
When entering into the main room, you can see many specimen survivrs preserved in a Vat that can be destroyed but drops no loot. You can enter a room that has two crates and a black Hatchet Case which can contain either a Vector, an M416, an MP220, an M9 (very unlikely), an M249 (very rarely) or a PKP Pecheneg (insanely rarely) or an M134(1 in 100 games). In some rooms, you can find silver Bunker Crates.
Once you enter the bunker from any entrance, you can only exit from the main entrance, unless you manage to sneak through a side door when someone else is entering. With this being said, if you trap someone inside, you can wait for them to come out and ambush them.
The Hydra Bunker has been around the game for a long time and therefore a series of strategies have been employed on them.
- Since all of the Bunker contains metal walls, kills through ricocheted bullets are very prominent.
- It is possible to camp the main entrance and ambush someone who exits the bunker.
- Sounds of the doors moving help allow the camper to locate where the player(s) are.
- This bunker is often a warzone, as players will compete to get to the Hatchet Case, so watch for players coming in from the 2nd alternative entrance, as they have the same goal: Get to the Hatchet Case.
- You can throw smoke grenades to confuse the players and so you can try to make your escape.
- You can camp Hydra Bunker's main entrance with a Shotgun with incredibly lethal results, as the other two ways into the bunker are one-way only. Make sure it is occupied, or extremely likely to be. Go up the stairs and close the stairway door and stand completely clear of the stairs. The main entrance's visual cover is useful for extended camping. The moment the door opens, blast whoever walked into your trap. Guaranteed to always work so long as you maintain the element of surprise.
- The main room has Computer Terminals near its main entrance, damage the computer terminals until they smoke, and wait for a Player to come in and when someone does, shoot at the computer terminals so that they explode in the player's face. It should bring the player down to low health where you could finish them off with your gun or even kill them.
- If a Player is currently looting the Hatchet Case, peek in the room and shoot the Barrels. This will likely kill or severely injure the player.
- Throwing grenades in and waiting for the player to come out is another way of doing this.
- The Survivr Pass 1 skin Arctic Avenger without any gear blends in very well with the ground, allowing for very effective camping.
- There are 3 entrances, which is a reference to the mythological Hydra that has 3 heads.
- Each entrance has a different logo depicting a corresponding number of heads (main entrance has 3 heads, the entrance with a Bunker Crate has 2 heads, and the last entrance has 1 head).
- In mythology, the number of heads on the Hydra actually isn't clear and changes with each account, however, the most common number of heads is actually 9, not 3. The devs probably chose 3 to keep things simple.
- It has the most explosive obstacles of any building.
- It also has the most Crates in any building.
- The update note suggests that the Hydra bunker is the second-largest bunker on the island, implying that there could be an even larger bunker in the future.
- The said larger bunker may be named the Core Bunker.
- In the Vector room, there is a black case residue next to the Hatchet case that is darker than the Hatchet case’s residue.
- The Poultry Applications and Research on Metabolic Augmentation (PARMA in short) Initiative is a reference to Chicken Dinner.
- There is a glitch that when the player enters through the sliding doors in the alternate entrances, it will make a negative sound while still opening.
This bunker is used for research, funded by the USSR Academy of Sciences, and built by Kuga Heavy Industries. Dr Chandler Tallow used to work here, before the incursion, presumably the bunker has been destroyed, since it wasn't present in the 50v50 Map. The big vats imply that the bunker is used for researching the chicken serum, used to make survivrs stronger and bigger. The Update note states that it is the second largest bunker ever built. Implying that there will be a bigger bunker in the future. That bunker may be the Core Bunker, or the Fowl Bunker. Since Dr Jackson attempted to reach the Fowl when he was in the Egg Bunker. The Hydra also acted as a temporary storage for the Hatchet Bunker, until it was finished.